HISTORICAL MONUMENTS RECOVERED OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS BY POINTS WEST SURVEYOR NOAH B. PENN
Wood stake remains of a 20th century perpetuation of the GLO surveyor John Brink position (1839). Position is supported by the recovered remains of both record GLO witness stumps. Measured bearings (geodetic) agreed within less than 2 degrees of the GLO record and distances agreed within .4' to the face of existing White Pine stump remains.
Jas H. Millard wood stake set in 1914 for the E 1/4 Corner, Section 25, Maple Grove Township, Manistee County, recovered in August 2011
1914 Millard wood stake point
Fargo Engineering Pipe set from GLO witness trees in 1909 for the NE Corner of Section 27, Marilla Township, Manistee County, recovered in August 2011
Stone with brick fragments set over top (set circa 1885) for the E 1/4 Corner, Section 12, Alamo Township, Kalamazoo County, recovered August 2011
18" round Drift Bolt (commonly used in railroad trestles for piling head cap fasteners) set for 1904 plat corner in Goodman's Addition, Section 4, Branch Township, Mason County, found in October 2013
Railroad track iron for 1/16th corner, Section 5, Ellsworth Township, Lake County, found in September 2013
Deputy County Surveyor in Oceana County, S. Edson 1883 Set 'A light-colored stone 22 in. length and 8 by 10. placed small point (up)'. South Center 1/16th Corner, Section 35, Claybanks Township. A rotted off fence post seen in back (orange and white range pole stuck in the decayed base) with old wire fence intersection running E+W+N. Found in July 2014
In this picture a tripod is set over a Forest Service Monument, with the prism pole set next to the Fargo Pipe.
Iron implement set as a perpetuation of the W 1/4 Corner, Section 21, Marilla Township, Manistee County, recovered in 2010 and replaced with a standard Manistee County Monument.
1/16th Corner Stone with flat iron fragments and pieces of broken crockery, Section 14, Riverton Township, Mason County, recovered in August 2013
Remains of what is believed to be a GLO White Pine line tree, now stump with evidence of charring, possibly from the Great Michigan Fire of 1871, Section 6, Sheridan Township, Mason County, recovered October 2013
Here a nail is set where it is believed Edson placed the North Center 1/16th Corner on a ring of stones. The large stone on the left is likely the original placed corner, now toppled over. This location fits within 3' of the record to the found stone at the South Center 1/16th Corner. Down fence remnants found extending N+S+E. Excavation determined the bottom of the ring of stones sets below the topsoil layer. Found in July 2014